September 20, 2014

Restarting An Old Habit

Getting older, Ron and I realize that we need to maintain and even improve our health.  We have been going to the gym three or four days a week for the past two and a half years.  Shaun and Michelle, our fitness coaches, have a terrific scale that scans your body and tells you information such as body fat %, bone mass, fat free mass and metabolic age among many things.  Ron's primary goal is to build muscle mass and drop fat mass.  My primary goal is to lose body fat % while gaining lean muscle.  Shaun and Michelle hold a free 'boot camp' three evenings a week at a local park.

It was Crazy Hair Day!
I attend boot camp sessions and go to the gym as much as possible to vary my workouts.  But, there's always time for more exercise, right?

Nearly 10 years ago, when I drove Jessica to high school, I would walk for an hour in the neighborhood near her school after I dropped her off.  School started at 7:30 and I didn't need to be at work until 9:00 so it worked perfectly into my schedule.  At the time, I was the thinnest and lightest I had been in my adult life.  In fact, the best comment I received was from my mother-in-law when she asked me where my butt went!   Too bad Jessica got her driver's license because once she started driving herself that habit stopped.  Since then, I've gained 15 pounds and my skinny-girl jeans are definitely not fitting.

I want to be able to fit back into my skinny-girl jeans so to do that I'm restarting an old habit: walking for an hour each morning.  I set my alarm for 6:45, get up after one hit of the snooze button, dress in my workout clothes, drink a bottle of water and I'm out the door 10 minutes later.  It's been three mornings so far.  The first morning I walked 2.5 miles, yesterday I walked 2.4 miles and this morning I walked 3 miles!  The pedometer I recently bought has been busy counting my steps.  It's encouraging to see the number go up a little higher each time I take a peak.

Next post, I'll show a few photos of interesting items I spied on the first days of walking the neighborhood.  Stay tuned! 

2 comments:

  1. We've made some real improvements in our overall health but the weight thing seems a never ending, never winning battle. Still, I get out for a couple miles of walking several mornings a week and always feel so much better for it! I have an audio book called Chi Walking that is very motivational - just started it so can't speak to any improvements in my walking :-)
    Love the look of the blog and looking forward to reading more about your journey!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I understand about the weight thing! Seems harder to keep it in check as we age.
      Shaun taught us that muscle weighs more than fat. And the more muscle you have, the more calories your body uses to simply maintain itself.
      Keep up the walking and you'll lose the fat and gain muscle over time.
      Thanks for reading!

      Delete

I'd love to hear from you, so please leave a comment!